Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Weenies en salsa

My grandparents were amazing, my grandfather working multiple jobs to make ends meet and my grandmother working miracles to keep everyone fed, clothed and in school.  And it worked.  Some of the things she did to save money were the odd little things she did in the kitchen.

My grandmother was a proud woman, but not too prideful. I remember when she would go to the grocery store and negotiate a lower price on fruits and vegetables just past their freshness date & bones "for the dog".  We'd go home and she would cut the bruised parts out of the vegetables and boil the bones for soup. Another thing she did was make weenies en salsa, a recipe borne of necessity after my grandfather was laid off his primary job. Years later, she was still making it, usually Saturday morning, served with eggs and retried beans.

Weenies en salsa

1 package of hot dogs, sliced
Vegetable oil, maybe a tsp
Diced onions, amount depends on how much you like onions
Garlic, (minced, sliced, whatever) to taste
Comino (or cumin for you non-Spanish spice speakers)
Tomato sauce
Optional, jalapeño or serrano pepper

My grandmother sliced the hot dogs (she really did call them weenies) diagonally, I guess it's what I'm used to.  My mom slices them in rounds. Sauté them in a small amount of oil with the onions until the hot dogs are browned and the onions sweat.  You can add the garlic at the end with the comino cumin, if you're brave enough.  My grandmother always toasted her comino, it just tastes better that way.  Adding it with the garlic for a short time accomplishes the toasting without the extra step.  When the garlic softens, add the tomato sauce.  Opinions differ here - mom likes a thicker sauce, my uncle not so much, so use as much tomato sauce as you like.  Add water to thin it a bit and then simmer, this is where you can add the peppers of choice, add them whole or chop in rounds.  Simmer until the sauce is the consistency you like.  

Serve with rice, beans and tortillas

In the vein of open and honest communication, my mother browns the hot dogs, adds a can of Rotel and then uses comino and garlic to taste and let's it simmer.  Not as good but works in a pinch.

There is always a package of hot dogs in the freezer.  We make it on Saturday morning or after mass on Sundays, sometimes with eggs but not always.  I think of my grandmother stirring the saucepan while this cooked and I wonder what went through her head - resolution, sadness, acceptance, hope or relief knowing that no one would go hungry that day.  So now, during the hard times, and during the good times, making this dish reminds me to be grateful because no matter what, this too shall pass.  


No comments:

Post a Comment